New Television; New Television, Episode 111; Son of Sam and Delilah
Part of New Television Workshop.
"Son of Sam and Delilah," 1991, featuring two drag queens named Hapi and Sunny, was created by video artist Charles Atlas as a response to both sorrow over AIDS-related deaths and increasing urban violence. Approximate date: 1991
- New Television
- New Television, Episode 111
- Program Number
Son of Sam and Delilah
- Series Description
"New Television" began as a local pilot production of WNET (New York) in 1986. In 1987, WGBH signed on as co-producer, and the shows were aired in Boston and New York. In 1988 and 1989, KCET (Los Angeles) and WETA (D.C.) became producers in association. In 1991, PBS picked up "New Television," and it was broadcast nationally. The following year, the Wexner Center for the Arts in Columbus, Ohio, replaced WNET, WETA, and KCET as co-producer with WGBH. In 1993, WGBH ceased to be a co-producer for the series, and the "home base" moved to Connecticut Public Television (CPTV) in Hartford, CT.
"New Television" commissioned, produced, and acquired programming. In its early years, "New Television" broadcast works commissioned by The Contemporary Art Television (CAT) Fund. Increasingly, experimental films as well as video works were broadcast as a part of this series. Many of the later episodes of "New Television" contain works that play with and deconstruct the documentary genre. Series release date: 1986
- Program Description
Features Charles Atlas’ “Son of Sam and Delilah.”
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- AIDS (Disease)
- Atlas, Charles
- Female impersonators
- Film and Television
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “New Television; New Television, Episode 111; Son of Sam and Delilah,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 18, 2020, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1507D343608242FA8F7A38351E6E07F8.
- MLA: “New Television; New Television, Episode 111; Son of Sam and Delilah.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 18, 2020. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1507D343608242FA8F7A38351E6E07F8>.
- APA: New Television; New Television, Episode 111; Son of Sam and Delilah. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1507D343608242FA8F7A38351E6E07F8