Ten O'Clock News; Quincy vs. Roxbury vs. MWRA
Marcus Jones reports that the Massachusetts State Legislature has passed a bill designating the city of Quincy as the location for the new headquarters of the Massachusetts Water Resources Authority (MWRA). Parcel 18 in Roxbury had been chosen as the initial site for the headquarters. Speaker of the House George Keverian and House leadership in the chambers of the House of Representatives. Mayor Ray Flynn , City Councilor Bruce Bolling, and Parcel 18 supporters at a press conference outside of the Massachusetts State House. Flynn and Bolling express their support for Parcel 18. Flynn says that the legislature's decision has undermined public confidence in the government. Governor Michael Dukakis has vetoed the bill designating Quincy as the MWRA site at a press conference. Interview with Reverend Tony Bethel of the Parcel 18 Task Force, who says that he and his supporters will continue to fight for economic justice for Roxbury. Footage of the building in Quincy proposed to house the MWRA.
- Ten O'Clock News
Quincy vs. Roxbury vs. MWRA
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Bills, Legislative
- Massachusetts. General Court. House of Representatives
- Massachusetts -- Politics and government
- African American politicians
- Bolling, Bruce C., 1945-2012
- Flynn, Raymond L.
- Keverian, George, 1931-2009
- Dukakis, Michael S. (Michael Stanley), 1933-
- African Americans -- Politics and government
- City planning
- Quincy (Mass.)
- Roxbury (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- George, Christy (Reporter)
- Flynn, Raymond L. (Speaker)
- Bolling, Bruce C., 1945-2012 (Speaker)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Quincy vs. Roxbury vs. MWRA,” 07/11/1989, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 8, 2016, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_14945049727C4BCE953D1FEC0CDDF2FD.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Quincy vs. Roxbury vs. MWRA.” 07/11/1989. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 8, 2016. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_14945049727C4BCE953D1FEC0CDDF2FD>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Quincy vs. Roxbury vs. MWRA. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_14945049727C4BCE953D1FEC0CDDF2FD