Ten O'Clock News; Owens vs. Bolling, Sr.
Carmen Fields reports that the Ballot Commission must determine whether several dozen signatures included in the nominating papers of Bill Owens are valid. If the signatures are invalidated, Owens' name will not appear on the primary ballot for the second Suffolk County seat, the only district ever to be held by an African American. Interview with Owens about his nomination papers and about the election. Owens attends a hearing of the Ballot Commission. Owens's main rival for the seat, Royal Bolling, Sr., will not appear on the ballot, because Bolling did not file nominating papers on time. Interview with Bolling, Sr. about his failure to file nomination papers on time. Fields notes the ongoing political competition between the Owens and Bolling families, although both candidates deny that the rivalry between the families is serious. Fields' report includes footage of Owens and Bolling, Sr. at a campaign debate in 1986 and footage of Bolling, Sr. at a legislative hearing. Fields' report also includes footage of Shirley Owens Hicks (sister of Bill Owens) at a Boston School Committee meeting and footage of Royal Bolling, Jr. at a press conference with Byron Rushing (State Representative) and Andrew Jones (community activist). Sounds cuts out at the end of the video. This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following item: Hope Kelly interviews Barbara Arnwine about housing desegregation in Boston
- Ten O'Clock News
Owens vs. Bolling, Sr.
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- African American politicians
- Political campaigns
- Owens, Bill, 1937-
- Bolling, Royal, Sr., 1920-2002
- Rushing, Byron
- Election law
- Massachusetts -- Politics and goverment
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Fields, Carmen (Reporter)
- Rushing, Byron (Speaker)
- Bolling, Royal, Sr., 1920-2002 (Interviewee)
- Owens, Bill, 1937- (Interviewee)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Owens vs. Bolling, Sr.,” 06/21/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 3, 2016, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_13BE08A9A32A4E81A5C85E469F1E366A.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Owens vs. Bolling, Sr..” 06/21/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 3, 2016. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_13BE08A9A32A4E81A5C85E469F1E366A>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Owens vs. Bolling, Sr.. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_13BE08A9A32A4E81A5C85E469F1E366A