Ten O'Clock News; Ku Klux Klan
Carmen Fields reports on the history and present activities of the Ku Klux Klan. Fields notes that recent statistics show an increase in hate crimes. She adds that membership in the Ku Klux Klan has increased. Fields' report includes footage from Eyes on the Prize of an interview with Reverend Fred Shuttlesworth, footage of Ku Klux Klan ceremonies and graphic shots of lynching victims. Fields talks about murders and lynchings by the Klan. She reports that the Ku Klux Klan turned out in large numbers to stop a march honoring Martin Luther King, Jr. in Forsythe County, Georgia. Fields notes that Louisiana State Rep. David Duke is a former Ku Klux Klan member, who has founded a new white advocacy group. Fields' report is accompanied by footage of Duke in the studios of WHDH radio and by footage from A Walk Through the Twentieth Century with Bill Moyers. Fields' report includes footage of Sterling Brown reading a poem about a lynching. This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following items: Controversy surrounds David Duke's visit to Boston and Avi Nelson and Dianne Wilkerson talk about quotas and civil rights
- Ten O'Clock News
Ku Klux Klan
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Hate crimes
- Race relations
- White supremacy movements
- African Americans -- History
- Duke, David Ernest
- News Report
- Fields, Carmen (Reporter)
- Duke, David Ernest (Interviewee)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Ku Klux Klan,” 03/28/1991, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 24, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_122E19CF21024B9FB230186DE1F0B33D.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Ku Klux Klan.” 03/28/1991. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 24, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_122E19CF21024B9FB230186DE1F0B33D>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Ku Klux Klan. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_122E19CF21024B9FB230186DE1F0B33D