Erica; Fashion, Fun, And Costumes
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Fashion, Fun, And Costumes
- Program Number
- Series Description
Needlework series with Erica Wilson. “Erica Wilson, noted American authority on needlework, invites the viewer to explore the exciting possibilities of indulging his creative and artistic talents. In this series of color videotaped 15 minute programs she illustrates the wide vocabulary of stitches used in many types of embroidery including traditional crewel, needlepoint, bargello, and crewel point.
As well as demonstrating these stitches, Erica gives professional hints on creating useful and decorative objects. She encourages personalizing an original or derived design through the selection of motif, materials, stitch, color, texture, and size. C. 1971-2 Series release date: 1971
- Program Description
This episode is a celebration of embroidered clothing. Erica displays examples of embroidered clothing from the 18th century, including a man’s waistcoat from the Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities, as well as 19th century ladies’ wrappers.
For the projects in this episode, Erica shows various ways in which to embroider contemporary clothing. Projects include a mini skirt, an Aran knit sweater embroidered with lazy daisy flowers in rug wool, embroidered blue jeans and shorts, and an embroidered canvas tote bag.
Stitches demonstrated in this episode include the lazy daisy stitch, French knots, cross-stitch, and reverse tent stitch. Erica also demonstrates how to mend ripped or torn clothing—using the example of her daughter’s denim jacket—in a decorative way.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- MacLeod, Margaret I. (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Erica; Fashion, Fun, And Costumes,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed June 23, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1170541796B3448EB65B8899DFDFA483.
- MLA: “Erica; Fashion, Fun, And Costumes.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. June 23, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1170541796B3448EB65B8899DFDFA483>.
- APA: Erica; Fashion, Fun, And Costumes. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1170541796B3448EB65B8899DFDFA483