Ten O'Clock News; Opposition to Bork nomination
Christy George reports on efforts by the National Conference of Black Lawyers and women's groups to fight the nomination of Judge Robert Bork to the Supreme Court. Bork believes in a strict interpretation of the Constitution, while African American and women's groups believe that the Constitution needs to be interpreted according to the changes in society since the 18th century. Julie Walker (professor, University of Illinois at Urbana) and Adjoa Aiyetoro (Co-chair, National Conference of Black Lawyers) address a meeting of the National Conference of Black Lawyers in Cambridge. Women's groups held an anti-Bork demonstration on City Hall Plaza. Interviews with Gerald Horne (attorney and professor at Sarah Lawrence College), Margaret Burnham (attorney and retired judge) and Barbara Arnwine (Director, Lawyer's Committee for Civil Rights) about their opposition to Bork. George's report uses supporting shots of racist literature from the 19th and 20th centuries.
- Ten O'Clock News
Opposition to Bork nomination
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- African Americans -- Politics and government
- United States. Supreme Court
- Civil rights
- African Americans -- Legal status, laws, etc.
- Bork, Robert H.
- Women's rights
- Cambridge (Mass.)
- News Report
- George, Christy (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Opposition to Bork nomination,” 09/11/1987, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed June 24, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1063C61679304A2C98BD5DEF20AFE292.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Opposition to Bork nomination.” 09/11/1987. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. June 24, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1063C61679304A2C98BD5DEF20AFE292>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Opposition to Bork nomination. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_1063C61679304A2C98BD5DEF20AFE292