Antiques VIII; ANTIQUE JEWELRY
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Antiques VIII
- ANTIQUE JEWELRY
- Program Number
- Series Description
Produced by New Hampshire Network out of WENH-TV in Durham, New Hampshire for distribution on the Eastern Educational Network (EEN). Series VIII was broadcast in 1973.
Antiques with host George Michael returns in full color with a new set, but with the same familiar attention to detail and precision in showing and giving the history of the pieces and collections featured. The new set features a period room that viewers will become familiar with over the 26 episode series.
George Michael was an antique dealer, collector, auctioneer, lecturer and author. His books include: “Antiquing With George Michael,” “The Treasury of New England Antiques,” and “Treasury of Federal Antiques.” Series release date: 1973
- Program Description
Sim Sneider of Boston is George Michael’s guest on Antiques. He brings with him to the program beautiful examples of European, British, Mediterranean and oriental jewelry as well as reproductions of a dozen of the most famous diamonds in the world. Among the items shown on the program are a very intricate and beautiful diamond necklace, a necklace of seed pearls and oriental sapphires, a magnificent bracelet of gold, diamonds and mine-cut bohemian garnets and several delicately pained and decorated miniatures. A sculptured cameo gives rise to a discussion of the difference between modern and antique cameos, and how to tell the difference between them. There are also several “special order” pieces, with initials or special family meaning, and a Mediterranean card case of gold filagree. A gold and lapis lazuli rope necklace with tassels made over a century ago is still very much in vogue today.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Antiques and Collectibles
- Hotaling, Al (Series Producer)
- New Hampshire Network (Series Producer)
- Michael, George (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Antiques VIII; ANTIQUE JEWELRY,” 08/07/1973, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed May 30, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_0FCC5E29FBBE40749A643D54A35982A6.
- MLA: “Antiques VIII; ANTIQUE JEWELRY.” 08/07/1973. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. May 30, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_0FCC5E29FBBE40749A643D54A35982A6>.
- APA: Antiques VIII; ANTIQUE JEWELRY. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_0FCC5E29FBBE40749A643D54A35982A6