Ten O'Clock News; Shultz and Weinberger at Harvard
David Boeri reports on protests against US foreign policy during a visit by Secretaries of State George Shultz and Defense Casper Weinberger to the Fogg Art Museum at Harvard University. Boeri notes that demonstrators protested against apartheid and US policies in South Africa, Nicaragua and El Salvador. Boeri's report includes footage of protesters and footage of Shultz and Weinberger entering the museum. Boeri notes that some of the demonstrators were Harvard alumni advocating Harvard's divestment from South Africa. Boeri interviews Boone Schirmer (Harvard alumnus) about Harvard's refusal to divest from South Africa. Boeri reports that security has been tightened all over campus. This protest takes place during the celebration of Harvard's 350th anniversary. This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following item: Mario Valdes reports on the book Blood Royal, which covers the ancestry of the British Royal Family
- Ten O'Clock News
Shultz and Weinberger at Harvard
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Universities and colleges
- Shultz, George Pratt, 1920-
- Harvard University
- Anti-apartheid movements
- Weinberger, Caspar W.
- International relations
- Cambridge (Mass.)
- News Report
- Boeri, David (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Shultz and Weinberger at Harvard,” 09/05/1986, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 15, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_0FAF5305226544E598365542D6D67F14.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Shultz and Weinberger at Harvard.” 09/05/1986. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 15, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_0FAF5305226544E598365542D6D67F14>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Shultz and Weinberger at Harvard. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_0FAF5305226544E598365542D6D67F14