La Plaza; Freshman Year on Beacon Hill
No Translations or subtitles
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- La Plaza
- Freshman Year on Beacon Hill
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered January 10, 1979- Officially La Plaza as a separate series title ended after season 28 (2006). It was replaced by the interview series: Maria Hinojosa: One-on-One which premiered in 2007.
Producer Raquel Ortiz anticipates that the bilingual series will serve as a plaza for the entire local Latino community. Ortiz also served as the host during the first season along with guest hosts. The program format varied from week to week, between musical specials, documentaries, in-studio debates, both locally produced and acquired. Spanish language programs were subtitled in English and English language programs were captioned in Spanish.
See January 1979 Prime Time Program Guide for cover story. Series release date: 1/10/1979
- Program Description
La Plaza opens its new season with a look at freshman state representative Jarrett Barrios, an energetic new addition to the State House. Barrios boasts boundless energy, political savvy and a devoted staff, yet his life is full of the frustration that faces a newcomer on the Hill. Jarrett is not only serving his Cambridge district, but as one of just three Latino legislators in the State House and one of the state's few openly gay politicians, he represents these interest groups as well.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Ortiz, Raquel (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “La Plaza; Freshman Year on Beacon Hill,” 01/08/2000, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 21, 2019, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_0DB46CBE6B2A4321872C38CAD12B97F9.
- MLA: “La Plaza; Freshman Year on Beacon Hill.” 01/08/2000. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 21, 2019. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_0DB46CBE6B2A4321872C38CAD12B97F9>.
- APA: La Plaza; Freshman Year on Beacon Hill. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_0DB46CBE6B2A4321872C38CAD12B97F9