Ten O'Clock News; Mandela's visit to Madison Park High
Meg Vaillancourt reports on black South African leader Nelson Mandela's visit to Madison Park High School. Vaillancourt reports that a large crowd waited in the hot gymnasium for Mandela to arrive. She adds that Madison Park High School was one of many stops on Mandela's itinerary during his visit to Boston. Vaillancourt's report includes footage of the crowd in the gymnasium and footage of a musical group performing traditional African music. Vaillancourt reports that the crowd erupted in ecstatic cheers when Mandela arrived. Vaillancourt's report also includes footage of Mandela's arrival at the high school. Members of the crowd are on their feet as they cheer. Mandela talks about the importance of education to today's youth. Vaillancourt reports that Mandela also spoke of the struggle against apartheid and the importance of sanctions. Vaillancourt notes that many people in the crowd consider Mandela to be a hero. Vaillancourt's report includes shots of Mandela with Winnie Mandela (wife of Nelson Mandela) and his entourage on stage at the high school.
- Ten O'Clock News
Mandela's visit to Madison Park High
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Mandela, Nelson, 1918-
- Anti-apartheid movements
- Speeches, addresses, etc.
- Mandela, Winnie
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Vaillancourt, Meg (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Mandela's visit to Madison Park High,” 06/25/1990, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed November 24, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_0CF44B4192B349F48FE72017361AEDD0.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Mandela's visit to Madison Park High.” 06/25/1990. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. November 24, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_0CF44B4192B349F48FE72017361AEDD0>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Mandela's visit to Madison Park High. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_0CF44B4192B349F48FE72017361AEDD0