La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Martin Espada
Not Closed Captioned
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- La Plaza
- Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Martin Espada
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered January 10, 1979- Officially La Plaza as a separate series title ended after season 28 (2006). It was replaced by the interview series: Maria Hinojosa: One-on-One which premiered in 2007.
Producer Raquel Ortiz anticipates that the bilingual series will serve as a plaza for the entire local Latino community. Ortiz also served as the host during the first season along with guest hosts. The program format varied from week to week, between musical specials, documentaries, in-studio debates, both locally produced and acquired. Spanish language programs were subtitled in English and English language programs were captioned in Spanish.
See January 1979 Prime Time Program Guide for cover story. Series release date: 1/10/1979
- Program Description
Martin Espada born in New York city, and once a practicing lawyer in Chelsea, Massachusetts, is regarded as one of the leading poets of Puerto Rican heritage in the U.S. Author of five books of poetry, including City of coughing and dead radiators (Norton, 1993), Imagine the angels of bread (Norton, 1996) and most recently, A Mayan astronomer in Hell’s Kitchen (Norton, 2000), Espada has also published a book of essays (Zapata’s Disciple, South End Press, Cambridge,1998), edited an anthology, Poetry like bread: poets of the political imagination, (Curbstone Press, Willimantic, CT, 1994), and a translation into English of a selection of poems by Clemente Soto Velez.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Ortiz, Raquel (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Martin Espada,” 01/21/2003, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed April 20, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_0B6C768742F641629401DE6B38175154.
- MLA: “La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Martin Espada.” 01/21/2003. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. April 20, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_0B6C768742F641629401DE6B38175154>.
- APA: La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Martin Espada. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_0B6C768742F641629401DE6B38175154