American Experience; Nixon; Nixon in China, 1972 [Part 1 of 2]
Part of The Vietnam Collection.
1) Arrival at Peking Airport, on US "Spirit of 76". Greeted by Zhou Enlai and others. Standing at attention while Chinese military band plays US and Chinese national anthems. Nixon and Zhou Enlai review paraded Chinese troops in greatcoats. (97 sound on film). 2) Black and white segment of Mao Tse Tung and Richard Nixon, handshaking. Zhou Enlai and Henry Kissinger. Big smiles. 16' sound on film, guide track. 3) Richard and Pat Nixon enter Great Hall with Mao Tse Tung's wife Jiang Qing for ballet performances. Seen taking seats. Dramatic performance of a revolutionary theme, ballerina quivering on her toes, her cheek to the red flag. Applause. Nixon and audience at end. (100' sound on film including ABC commentary).
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- American Experience
- Program Number
Nixon in China, 1972 [Part 1 of 2]
- Series Description
Premiered October 1988 As television's longest-running, most-watched history series, American Experience brings to life the incredible characters and epic stories that helped form this nation. Now in its eighteenth season, the series has produced over 180 programs and garnered every major broadcast award. Series release date: 10/1988
- Program Description
In this three-hour presentation, Richard Nixon's life and political career are reassessed primarily by those who knew him best. The program chronicles his life from boyhood in Yorba Linda, California, through his days as a young Congressman to his presidency where he astounded the nation with his foreign policy initiatives and then left office in disgrace.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- United States--Politics and government
- Kissinger, Henry, 1923-
- United States--Foreign relations--Asia
- Jiang, Qing, 1914-1991
- United States--History--1945-
- Nixon, Pat, 1912-1993
- United States--Foreign relations--China
- United States--Foreign relations--1945-1989
- Zhou, Enlai, 1898-1976
- China--Politics and government
- Nixon, Richard M. (Richard Milhous), 1913-1994
- Nixon, Richard M. (Richard Milhous), 1913-1994 ()
- Zhou, Enlai, 1898-1976 ()
- Jiang, Qing, 1914-1991 (Performer)
- Publication Information
- ABC News VideoSource
- Rights Summary
Footage courtesy of ABC News Rights Holder: ABC News VideoSource (http://abcnews.go.com)
- Chicago: “American Experience; Nixon; Nixon in China, 1972 [Part 1 of 2],” 02/01/1972, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed May 28, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_0B073D25194442BD9963EB1BCF25A5D1.
- MLA: “American Experience; Nixon; Nixon in China, 1972 [Part 1 of 2].” 02/01/1972. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. May 28, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_0B073D25194442BD9963EB1BCF25A5D1>.
- APA: American Experience; Nixon; Nixon in China, 1972 [Part 1 of 2]. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_0B073D25194442BD9963EB1BCF25A5D1