La Plaza; Eye On Education: Diplomas and Dropouts
Eye on Education
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- La Plaza
- Eye On Education: Diplomas and Dropouts
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered January 10, 1979- Officially La Plaza as a separate series title ended after season 28 (2006). It was replaced by the interview series: Maria Hinojosa: One-on-One which premiered in 2007.
Producer Raquel Ortiz anticipates that the bilingual series will serve as a plaza for the entire local Latino community. Ortiz also served as the host during the first season along with guest hosts. The program format varied from week to week, between musical specials, documentaries, in-studio debates, both locally produced and acquired. Spanish language programs were subtitled in English and English language programs were captioned in Spanish.
See January 1979 Prime Time Program Guide for cover story. Series release date: 1/10/1979
- Program Description
La Plaza first introduced audiences to Charlestown High School students Zahira Lerebours and Edwin Lara during the summer after their freshman year in 20 Days to 10th Grade. In this second chapter of their academic lives, buckling down and passing their courses are not the only challenges Edwin and Zahira face. As members of the class of 2003, they are the first students in Massachusetts required to pass standardized statewide exams known as MCAS in order to graduate from high school. As dozens of their fellow students are expelled or leave school, the pressure is on Zahira and Edwin to succeed.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Ortiz, Raquel (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “La Plaza; Eye On Education: Diplomas and Dropouts,” 04/03/2002, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed July 23, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_0A70FF63CDAD4259B7F03C1FA1F985E7.
- MLA: “La Plaza; Eye On Education: Diplomas and Dropouts.” 04/03/2002. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. July 23, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_0A70FF63CDAD4259B7F03C1FA1F985E7>.
- APA: La Plaza; Eye On Education: Diplomas and Dropouts. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_0A70FF63CDAD4259B7F03C1FA1F985E7