Ten O'Clock News; Simplex steering committee
Meg Vaillancourt reports on a protest by Cambridge activists against plans proposed by MIT to develop a parcel of land near Central Square. Protesters accuse MIT and the developer of misleading the public by underestimating the size and scope of the project planned for the Simplex site. Bill Cavellini from the Simplex Steering Committee and Ken Campbell of MIT discuss the plans for the site. Vaillancourt reviews the plans for the site. The protesters differ with MIT over the amount of low-income housing to be built on the site and on the definition of low-income housing. Bill Noble from the Simplex Steering Committee criticizes MIT's definition of low-income housing. Cambridge activists and the homeless community are at odds with one another over the most effective form of protest against the development. At a protest, a scuffle breaks out between one of the activists and a homeless man. Community activist Mel King tries to make peace between the two sides. The Cambridge City Council will soon vote on the planned development. Following the edited story is additional b-roll footage of students on the campus of MIT in warm weather.
- Ten O'Clock News
Simplex steering committee
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Universities and colleges
- Urban poor
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- City planning
- King, Mel
- Central Square (Cambridge, Mass.)
- Cambridge (Mass.)
- News Report
- King, Mel (Speaker)
- Vaillancourt, Meg (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Simplex steering committee,” 01/07/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 11, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_0A3BB777AE42443EAAA345C1A91B3100.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Simplex steering committee.” 01/07/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 11, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_0A3BB777AE42443EAAA345C1A91B3100>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Simplex steering committee. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_0A3BB777AE42443EAAA345C1A91B3100