Ten O'Clock News; Fighting drugs locally
Marcus Jones reports on efforts by the Roxbury community to fight drugs. Jones' reports includes footage of a community meeting with William Celester (Deputy Superintendent, Boston Police Department) and Roxbury residents. Celester and Georgette Watson (Roxbury residents) talk about the need for residents to fight the drug trade. Watson and Lola Jenkins (Roxbury resident) talk about the need for more funding to help communities fight drugs. Jones notes that Watson runs the Drop-A-Dime Program in Boston. Jones' reports also includes footage of Watson walking through Dudley Square in Roxbury with Callie Crossley (WGBH reporter). Following the edited story is b-roll of the community meeting and of Dudley Square. Church's Chicken sign, liquor store front, church steeple, food stamp center, Ugi's Subs sign.
- Ten O'Clock News
Fighting drugs locally
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Urban policy
- Celester, William R.
- Arrest (Police methods)
- Drug control
- Boston (Mass.). Police Dept.
- Drug traffic
- Roxbury (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Jones, Marcus (Reporter)
- Crossley, Callie (Reporter)
- Celester, William R. (Speaker)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Fighting drugs locally,” 08/21/1989, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed October 1, 2020, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_09C322EF483A418FA8CCA701187B6517.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Fighting drugs locally.” 08/21/1989. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. October 1, 2020. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_09C322EF483A418FA8CCA701187B6517>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Fighting drugs locally. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_09C322EF483A418FA8CCA701187B6517