Ten O'Clock News; State purchasing and South Africa
Christy George reports that Massachusetts was the first state in the nation to divest its pension funds from South Africa five years ago. She adds that apartheid opponents are backing a selective purchasing bill that would bar the state from buying goods and services from companies who do business in South Africa. Ric Murphy, State Purchasing Agent, testifies in support of the bill in front of state legislators. Joseph Hermann, Chairman of State Administration Committee, wants the state to stop doing business with all countries with repressive governments. Hermann testifies before state legislators. Governor Michael Dukakis supports the bill. The bill will probably not be passed in time to help his presidential campaign. Former State Senator Jack Backman speaks in support of Dukakis. Georges' report is also accompanied by footage of scenes from apartheid South Africa and by footage of IBM workers and laborers in South Africa.
- Ten O'Clock News
State purchasing and South Africa
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Speeches, addresses, etc.
- Anti-apartheid movements
- Bills, Legislative
- Massachusetts -- Politics and government
- Dukakis, Michael S. (Michael Stanley), 1933-
- South Africa
- News Report
- George, Christy (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; State purchasing and South Africa,” 04/25/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed October 16, 2019, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_0948A58DDFE24ABC8DA477EC14182A49.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; State purchasing and South Africa.” 04/25/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. October 16, 2019. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_0948A58DDFE24ABC8DA477EC14182A49>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; State purchasing and South Africa. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_0948A58DDFE24ABC8DA477EC14182A49