La Plaza; Behind the Blue Diner: Short Version
Short Version for PBS - 13:34
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- La Plaza
- Behind the Blue Diner: Short Version
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered January 10, 1979- Officially La Plaza as a separate series title ended after season 28 (2006). It was replaced by the interview series: Maria Hinojosa: One-on-One which premiered in 2007.
Producer Raquel Ortiz anticipates that the bilingual series will serve as a plaza for the entire local Latino community. Ortiz also served as the host during the first season along with guest hosts. The program format varied from week to week, between musical specials, documentaries, in-studio debates, both locally produced and acquired. Spanish language programs were subtitled in English and English language programs were captioned in Spanish.
See January 1979 Prime Time Program Guide for cover story. Series release date: 1/10/1979
- Program Description
Behind the scenes of a low budget Boston-based independent feature film.
Why would anyone want to risk over a half-million dollars and devote five years of their life to an endeavor with overwhelmingly negative odds of success?
The answer is revealed in the often trying and sometimes hilarious circumstances behind the making of the film The Blue Diner. The documentary explores the themes and nuances of this Latino-centered film, as well as the noticeable lack of opportunities Hollywood provides for Latino actors and filmmakers. Interweaving footage from the feature film with interviews with producers and actors, Behind the Blue Diner captures both the overwhelming excitement and major hurdles involved in making a feature film--against all odds.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Ortiz, Raquel (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “La Plaza; Behind the Blue Diner: Short Version,” 06/28/2001, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 25, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_08E07040E0DF4369BFD75F0F05DADA40.
- MLA: “La Plaza; Behind the Blue Diner: Short Version.” 06/28/2001. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 25, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_08E07040E0DF4369BFD75F0F05DADA40>.
- APA: La Plaza; Behind the Blue Diner: Short Version. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_08E07040E0DF4369BFD75F0F05DADA40