Ten O'Clock News; Kelly vs desegregation
Jan von Mehren reports that City Councilor James Kelly denies that Boston's public housing policy is discriminatory and plans to ask the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for proof of discrimination. He has proposed an alternative housing policy which allows tenants to choose where they want to live. Mayor Ray Flynn has agreed to present Kelly's plan to HUD for discussion. Kelly and Flynn attend a South Boston community meeting, where Kelly speaks out against housing integration. The crowd jeers at Flynn as he approaches the stage. Von Mehren's report is accompanied by footage of white and African American residents of housing projects in Boston.
- Ten O'Clock News
Kelly vs desegregation
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Public housing
- Kelly, James M., 1940-2007
- United States. Dept. of Housing and Urban Development
- Flynn, Raymond L.
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- von Mehren, Jan (Reporter)
- Kelly, James M., 1940-2007 (Speaker)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Kelly vs desegregation,” 03/01/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 11, 2016, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_08A392F763AA4D06A9D57A0F2A5A3928.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Kelly vs desegregation.” 03/01/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 11, 2016. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_08A392F763AA4D06A9D57A0F2A5A3928>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Kelly vs desegregation. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_08A392F763AA4D06A9D57A0F2A5A3928