Ten O'Clock News; Flynn, black students and choose-a-school
Meg Vaillancourt reports on controversy over a new student assignment plan for the Boston Public Schools, which minority members of the Boston School Committee spoke out against at a breakfast commemorating the birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.. School Committee members John O'Bryant, Juanita Wade, Jean McGuire, and Gerald Anderson speak to the media. They do not believe that the plan will provide equitable education for all. The plan was proposed by mayor Ray Flynn. It will allow parents to choose which schools their children will attend. Interview with Flynn, who defends the proposal, saying that it's supported by parents. He adds that School Committee members have been asked for input on the plan. Vaillancourt also reports that Flynn has proposed the decentralization of the Boston School Department and selling off the headquarters of the Boston School Department. Vaillancourt reports that minority members of the School Committee may rescind their support for superintendent Laval Wilson if he supports Flynn's school choice proposal. This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following items: Elma Lewis in Marsh Chapel at Boston University on Martin Luther King Day and Carmen Fields interviews Robert Nemiroff about the playwright Lorraine Hansberry
- Ten O'Clock News
Flynn, black students and choose-a-school
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- School choice
- Boston (Mass.). School Committee
- Flynn, Raymond L.
- Segregation in education
- Busing for school integration
- School boards
- South Boston (Boston, Mass.)
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Vaillancourt, Meg (Reporter)
- Flynn, Raymond L. (Interviewee)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Flynn, black students and choose-a-school,” 01/16/1989, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 22, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_071D9812D2B14894B0182C61A5BF9464.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Flynn, black students and choose-a-school.” 01/16/1989. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 22, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_071D9812D2B14894B0182C61A5BF9464>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Flynn, black students and choose-a-school. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_071D9812D2B14894B0182C61A5BF9464