Ten O'Clock News; Kearney, Conway, O'Shea on busing
Judy Stoia interviews Dennis Kearney (State Representative), Gloria Conway (Editor, Charlestown Patriot) and Mon O'Shea (Associate Dean, Bunker Hill Community College) on the steps of the Bunker Hill Monument. They talk about the anti-busing movement in Charlestown. O'Shea says that the media have portrayed Charlestown as a violent community; that the Charlestown anti-busing movement is working for public safety and rumor control. Conway discusses the damage the media can cause by reporting unverified rumors. Paul deGive interviews Conway on police presence in Charlestown and about violent youth in Charlestown. Conway says that police officers in Charlestown allowed a peaceful demonstration to proceed today; that residents need to vent their frustrations. Conway discusses the ways local and national media interact with the people involved in the busing situation, while they shoot cutaways. Tape 3 of 3
- Ten O'Clock News
Kearney, Conway, O'Shea on busing
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Boston (Mass.). Police Dept.
- Urban youth
- Busing for school integration
- Police patrol
- Charlestown (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- deGive, Paul (Reporter)
- Stoia, Judy (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Kearney, Conway, O'Shea on busing,” 09/10/1975, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed October 16, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_04B7B3BEBC674149B3EEE3C838DBCB7F.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Kearney, Conway, O'Shea on busing.” 09/10/1975. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. October 16, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_04B7B3BEBC674149B3EEE3C838DBCB7F>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Kearney, Conway, O'Shea on busing. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_04B7B3BEBC674149B3EEE3C838DBCB7F