American Experience; Nixon; GI's hear Nixon ceasefire proposal
Part of The Vietnam Collection.
GI's in Vietnam listen to Richard M. Nixon speech proposing cease-fire: troops of 4th cavalry 25th division gathered around a radio, large group fills the screen with khaki, very good shot. Nixon's voice heard: "...propose that all forces throughout IC cease firing their weapons...a ceasefire in place...an end to the killing.." Med. shots and close-ups. Strong sense of the troops, different races, bare chests, khaki. Visual of radios. At end of speech, music again on radio as group breaks up. Good atmosphere.
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- American Experience
- Program Number
GI's hear Nixon ceasefire proposal
- Series Description
Premiered October 1988 As television's longest-running, most-watched history series, American Experience brings to life the incredible characters and epic stories that helped form this nation. Now in its eighteenth season, the series has produced over 180 programs and garnered every major broadcast award. Series release date: 10/1988
- Program Description
In this three-hour presentation, Richard Nixon's life and political career are reassessed primarily by those who knew him best. The program chronicles his life from boyhood in Yorba Linda, California, through his days as a young Congressman to his presidency where he astounded the nation with his foreign policy initiatives and then left office in disgrace.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- United States--History, Military--20th century
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975--Mass media and the war
- Vietnam (Republic)
- United States--Armed Forces
- United States--Politics and government
- United States--History--1945-
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975
- Nixon, Richard M. (Richard Milhous), 1913-1994
- South Vietnam
- Nixon, Richard M. (Richard Milhous), 1913-1994 (Speaker)
- Publication Information
- ABC News VideoSource
- Rights Summary
Footage courtesy of ABC News Rights Holder: ABC News VideoSource (http://abcnews.go.com)
- Chicago: “American Experience; Nixon; GI's hear Nixon ceasefire proposal,” 10/08/1970, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 18, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_040FEDFA36D447ECB57F6110A388198B.
- MLA: “American Experience; Nixon; GI's hear Nixon ceasefire proposal.” 10/08/1970. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 18, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_040FEDFA36D447ECB57F6110A388198B>.
- APA: American Experience; Nixon; GI's hear Nixon ceasefire proposal. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_040FEDFA36D447ECB57F6110A388198B