War and Peace in the Nuclear Age; Bolshoi Ballet production of Anna Karenina
Part of War and Peace in the Nuclear Age.
Performance of the Bolshoi Ballet at the Wang Theatre. Production of Anna Karenina directed by Maya Plisetskaya, set to music of Rodion Schchedrin. Interviews with demonstrators protesting the treatment of Jews and other groups within the Soviet Union, and with ballet patrons and orchestra members on the subject of cultural exchange. Interior shots of lobby with U.S. and Soviet flags, patrons seated in theater, performance, and curtain calls.
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- War and Peace in the Nuclear Age
Bolshoi Ballet production of Anna Karenina
- Series Description
The first atomic explosion in the New Mexico desert on July 16, 1945, changed the world forever. This series chronicles these changes and the history of a new era. It traces the development of nuclear weapons, the evolution of nuclear strategy, and the politics of a world with the power to destroy itself.
In thirteen one-hour programs that combine historic footage and recent interviews with key American, Soviet, and European participants, the nuclear age unfolds: the origin and evolution of nuclear weapons; the people of the past who have shaped the events of the present; the ideas and issues that political leaders, scientists, and the public at large must confront, and the prospects for the future. Nuclear Age highlights the profound changes in contemporary thinking imposed by the advent of nuclear weapons. Series release date: 1/1989
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Wang Theatre (Boston, Mass.)
- Plisetskaya, Maya, 1926-
- Bolshoi Ballet (Soviet Union)
- Shchedrin, Rodion Konstantinovich, 1932-
- Anna Karenina (Choreographic work : Plisetskaya)
- Cold War
- Wang Center, Boston, MA
- War and Conflict
- Global Affairs
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “War and Peace in the Nuclear Age; Bolshoi Ballet production of Anna Karenina,” 03/26/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 14, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_03470BC6BE3443F2B018CF614899AB8D.
- MLA: “War and Peace in the Nuclear Age; Bolshoi Ballet production of Anna Karenina.” 03/26/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 14, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_03470BC6BE3443F2B018CF614899AB8D>.
- APA: War and Peace in the Nuclear Age; Bolshoi Ballet production of Anna Karenina. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_03470BC6BE3443F2B018CF614899AB8D