La Plaza; Omayra Amaya Flamenco Sin Limites
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- La Plaza
- Omayra Amaya Flamenco Sin Limites
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered January 10, 1979- Officially La Plaza as a separate series title ended after season 28 (2006). It was replaced by the interview series: Maria Hinojosa: One-on-One which premiered in 2007.
Producer Raquel Ortiz anticipates that the bilingual series will serve as a plaza for the entire local Latino community. Ortiz also served as the host during the first season along with guest hosts. The program format varied from week to week, between musical specials, documentaries, in-studio debates, both locally produced and acquired. Spanish language programs were subtitled in English and English language programs were captioned in Spanish.
See January 1979 Prime Time Program Guide for cover story. Series release date: 1/10/1979
- Program Description
La Plaza introduces dance lovers to flamenco, the traditional Gypsy art from southern Spain. Choreographer and dancer Omayra Amaya has melded this ancient art with contemporary jazz and modern dance to create an electrifying mix. Omayra is the great niece of the legendary flamenco dancer Carmen Amaya. She tells La Plaza about growing up in a family of flamenco dancers and about how coming to Boston and performing for American audiences has changed her style of dance.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Ortiz, Raquel (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “La Plaza; Omayra Amaya Flamenco Sin Limites,” 02/23/1998, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed June 21, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_02A6AFCB54BE49DC8B54333CAD4DEEFF.
- MLA: “La Plaza; Omayra Amaya Flamenco Sin Limites.” 02/23/1998. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. June 21, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_02A6AFCB54BE49DC8B54333CAD4DEEFF>.
- APA: La Plaza; Omayra Amaya Flamenco Sin Limites. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_02A6AFCB54BE49DC8B54333CAD4DEEFF