Ten O'Clock News; Orient Heights racial violence
Interview with residents at Orient Heights housing project about prejudice among residents, and outside groups, including white supremacy groups, coming in causing trouble. Two white boys say “the white kids don't want to live with the blacks or the spics [sic].” Interview with woman from Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights about unresponsiveness of city officials to racial violence, following fire bombing of Guatemalan family by 200 whites. Interview with man from an advocacy group on the history of similar racially motivated attacks in East Boston and the lack of response from the community and officials. He mentions that violence in housing projects, specifically, is not given enough attention by the police. He also describes lawsuits brought by minorities who have been discriminated against. Exteriors of Orient Heights project, many windows boarded up. Black and white kids play. Mural of JFK and Big Bird.
- Ten O'Clock News
Orient Heights racial violence
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- White supremacy movements
- Actions and defenses
- Race relations
- Hate crimes
- Housing projects
- East Boston (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Schechter, Danny (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Orient Heights racial violence,” 07/27/1978, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed October 18, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_028A7B316AA3415694988B7521EA430F.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Orient Heights racial violence.” 07/27/1978. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. October 18, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_028A7B316AA3415694988B7521EA430F>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Orient Heights racial violence. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_028A7B316AA3415694988B7521EA430F