La Plaza; Plena is work, Plena is song
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- La Plaza
- Plena is work, Plena is song
- Series Description
Premiered January 10, 1979- Officially La Plaza as a separate series title ended after season 28 (2006). It was replaced by the interview series: Maria Hinojosa: One-on-One which premiered in 2007.
Producer Raquel Ortiz anticipates that the bilingual series will serve as a plaza for the entire local Latino community. Ortiz also served as the host during the first season along with guest hosts. The program format varied from week to week, between musical specials, documentaries, in-studio debates, both locally produced and acquired. Spanish language programs were subtitled in English and English language programs were captioned in Spanish.
See January 1979 Prime Time Program Guide for cover story. Series release date: 1/10/1979
- Program Description
The cultural and political history of plena, a Puerto Rican musical blend of African and Spanish idioms, is examined in this documentary produced and directed by Pedro A. Rivera and Susan Zeig. Plena originated in the working class communities of the island, achieving widespread popularity in the 20s and 30s. Contemporary attempts to preserve plena and other examples of traditional Puerto Rican cuture are discussed within the context of increasing economic and cultural encroachment.
First broadcast in 1991.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Ortiz, Raquel (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “La Plaza; Plena is work, Plena is song,” 11/28/1990, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 20, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_00CCEE11A93B4550891ACE74366001E8.
- MLA: “La Plaza; Plena is work, Plena is song.” 11/28/1990. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 20, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_00CCEE11A93B4550891ACE74366001E8>.
- APA: La Plaza; Plena is work, Plena is song. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_00CCEE11A93B4550891ACE74366001E8