Mystery!; Poirot, Series VIII: Hercule Poirot's Christmas
Poirot Series VII Hercule Poirot’s Christmas Episode 1
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Poirot, Series VIII: Hercule Poirot's Christmas
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered in 1980 -- offshoot of MASTERPIECE THEATRE. Showcase for the best of British drama in the mystery genre. Current producer, Rebecca Eaton. See individual episode titles for more information. Host: 1980: Gene Shalit; 1981-1989: Vincent Price; 1989-present: Diana Rigg Series release date: 1980
- Program Description
"Hercule Poirot's Christmas"--The final Poirot episode opens in a South African diamond mine at the close of the 19th century. Simeon Lee, a ruthless British prospector, kills a colleague for a cache of diamonds, but is himself seriously wounded in the fight. An Afrikaner woman nurses Simeon back to health; Simeon repays the deed by abandoning her and their infant son, presumably to return to England with his recently acquired wealth. Forty years later -- and five days before Christmas -- a wizened, crusty Simeon requests Poirot's presence at a seasonal family reunion. Soon after Simeon announces his plan to cut his grown sons' allowances, the irritable patriarch is found dead and his diamonds are missing. As Christmas nears, Poirot and Inspector Japp become better acquainted with each family member -- including a mysterious niece, an alienated son and a glamorous daughter-in-law -- in an attempt to distill the truth from their conflicting stories.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Eaton, Rebecca (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Mystery!; Poirot, Series VIII: Hercule Poirot's Christmas,” 11/14/1996, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 17, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_00584080E8FA4320BF1939FF3FAA3C37.
- MLA: “Mystery!; Poirot, Series VIII: Hercule Poirot's Christmas.” 11/14/1996. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 17, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_00584080E8FA4320BF1939FF3FAA3C37>.
- APA: Mystery!; Poirot, Series VIII: Hercule Poirot's Christmas. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_00584080E8FA4320BF1939FF3FAA3C37