Dateline St. Augustine; Program 11
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Dateline St. Augustine
- Program 11
- Program Number
- Series Description
Radio, 3/24-4/3, 1964. "On the spot coverage of the struggle for civil rights in America's oldest city." The series was produced by Ted Mascott and T.F.Conley in St. Augustine, FL, coordinating producers in Boston were Leslie Darren and N. Arnold Shaw Series release date: 1964
- Program Description
Series description: Radio, 3/24-4/3, 1964. "On the spot coverage of the struggle for civil rights in America's oldest city." The series was produced by Ted Mascott and T.F.Conley in St. Augustine, FL, coordinating producers in Boston were Leslie Darren and N. Arnold Shaw
Program 11: T.F. Conley reports on events of the day 4/2-3/1964. Mary Parkman Peabody arrived back in Boston, early afternoon on Friday 4/3/1964. Coverage of a rally held at the Zion Baptist Church in St. Augustine, the prior night shortly after Peabody and other demonstrators were released from jail. Rev. Bernard Lee introduces Mrs. Peabody to the enthusiastically supportive audience. Peabody remarks about her experiences in St. Augustine and comments how unexpected the media coverage has been of her jailing.
Rev. William Coffin, Chaplain, Yale University addresses the rally audience. Robert Hayling addresses the audience and publicly thanks Mrs. Peabody and others for their assistance and bids her a fond farewell, the audience is asked for, and gives, Mrs. Peabody a standing ovation.
T.F. Conley interviews two of the three lawyers working for the legal cause of the jailed protesters in St. Augustine, William Kunstler, Counsel to Dr. Martin Luther King and the SCLC, and Tobias Simon, General Counsel for the Florida Civil Liberties Union, an affiliate to the ACLU.
Lastly, T. F. Conley speaks with Ned Greeley of Lexington, MA, a Dartmouth College student recently released from jail for his participation in trying to integrate a drug store lunch counter. Greeley talks of his jail time and the conditions encountered by he and other white protesters as contrasted with the conditions endured by his fellow black demonstrators.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- News Report
- Race and Ethnicity
- Social Issues
- Mascott, Ted (Series Producer)
- Conley, T.F. (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Dateline St. Augustine; Program 11,” 04/03/1964, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 13, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_CFAA8C0B7A7F4369BEF3FD4B9A79D721.
- MLA: “Dateline St. Augustine; Program 11.” 04/03/1964. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 13, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_CFAA8C0B7A7F4369BEF3FD4B9A79D721>.
- APA: Dateline St. Augustine; Program 11. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_CFAA8C0B7A7F4369BEF3FD4B9A79D721