Dateline St. Augustine; Program 12
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Dateline St. Augustine
- Program 12
- Program Number
- Series Description
Radio, 3/24-4/3, 1964. "On the spot coverage of the struggle for civil rights in America's oldest city." The series was produced by Ted Mascott and T.F.Conley in St. Augustine, FL, coordinating producers in Boston were Leslie Darren and N. Arnold Shaw Series release date: 1964
- Program Description
Series description: Radio, 3/24-4/3, 1964. "On the spot coverage of the struggle for civil rights in America's oldest city." The series was produced by Ted Mascott and T.F.Conley in St. Augustine, FL, coordinating producers in Boston were Leslie Darren and N. Arnold Shaw
Program 12: (5) cuts comprising episode 12 of the series. At press conference upon return to Boston by Mrs. Burgess, Mrs. Campbell, Rev. Warren McKenna and Mrs. Mary Parkman Peabody.
Cut 1: Mrs. Burgess, Mrs. Campbell, Rev. Warren McKenna and Mrs. Mary Parkman Peabody are welcomed back to Boston by James Breeden (?).
Cut 2: A telegram to Mrs. Peabody from Martin Luther King, is read to the audience. King thanks Mrs. Peabody and her companions for their efforts toward "excising the cancer of segregation..."
Cut 3: Mrs. Peabody addresses the press and audience attending. She is humble and does not see herself as a hero, "the real heroes are the young people who continue to fight everyday..." Mrs. Peabody answers questions from the press. Mrs. Burgess comments on her experiences and the conditions found in the St. Augustine jail. Mrs. Campbell briefly comments. Rev. McKenna (?) makes brief remarks. James Breeden comments that the events of St. Augustine have had a positive effect on the current state of race relations in Boston.
Cut 4: Leslie Darren asks separate individual questions of Peabody and Breeden after the press conference.
Cut 5: Helen Peters, by telephone, recaps her impressions of the send-off meeting in St. Augustine for the New England students returning home. Emphasis on the optimism instilled in them and their willingness to return anytime they are needed.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- News Report
- Social Issues
- Race and Ethnicity
- Conley, T.F. (Series Producer)
- Mascott, Ted (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Dateline St. Augustine; Program 12,” 04/03/1964, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 3, 2016, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_C2C1DEBE8F094D109235DE2687E544F8.
- MLA: “Dateline St. Augustine; Program 12.” 04/03/1964. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 3, 2016. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_C2C1DEBE8F094D109235DE2687E544F8>.
- APA: Dateline St. Augustine; Program 12. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_C2C1DEBE8F094D109235DE2687E544F8