Masterpiece Radio Theatre; Far From the Madding Crowd
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Masterpiece Radio Theatre
- Far From the Madding Crowd
- Series Description
Series premiered May 5, 1979 Produced by WGBH Radio, Masterpiece Radio Theatre is a 52 week series of classic drama featuring dramatizations of American literary classics and selections from the BBC’s outstanding repertoire of radio drama. Programs included Anna Karenina, House of Mirth, Moby Dick, Jane Eyre, Far From the Madding Crowd, Sons and Lovers, and Les Miserables. Hosted by Julie Harris and produced by Elinor Stout.
See May 1979 On-Air Radio Program Guide for cover story. Series release date: 5/5/1979
- Program Description
Aired Saturdays August 4-25, 1979 One of the few novels by Thomas Hardy to have a happy ending, this Wessex romance traces the fortunes of the spoiled heiress Bathsheba Everdene and unlucky shepherd Gabriel Oak. This adaptation starred Jane Seymour as Bathsheba Everdene, John Castle as Sergeant Troy, Patrick Mowrer as Gabriel Oak, and James Grout as Boldwood. Adapted by Desmond Hawkins and produced for the BBC by Brian Miller.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Radio Theater
- Chicago: “Masterpiece Radio Theatre; Far From the Madding Crowd,” 07/01/1979, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed October 27, 2016, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_724FF0813DE54963A1ACD2F73B1F7DB7.
- MLA: “Masterpiece Radio Theatre; Far From the Madding Crowd.” 07/01/1979. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. October 27, 2016. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_724FF0813DE54963A1ACD2F73B1F7DB7>.
- APA: Masterpiece Radio Theatre; Far From the Madding Crowd. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_724FF0813DE54963A1ACD2F73B1F7DB7