Dateline St. Augustine; Program 9
Leslie Darren interviews Canon James Breeden, Massachusetts Freedom Movement; and Rev. Virgil Wood, President, MA SCLC (Southern Christian Leadership Conference).
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Dateline St. Augustine
- Program 9
- Program Number
- Series Description
Radio, 3/24-4/3, 1964. "On the spot coverage of the struggle for civil rights in America's oldest city." The series was produced by Ted Mascott and T.F.Conley in St. Augustine, FL, coordinating producers in Boston were Leslie Darren and N. Arnold Shaw Series release date: 1964
- Program Description
Series description: Radio, 3/24-4/3, 1964. "On the spot coverage of the struggle for civil rights in America's oldest city." The series was produced by Ted Mascott and T.F.Conley in St. Augustine, FL, coordinating producers in Boston were Leslie Darren and N. Arnold Shaw
Program 9: T.F. Conley reports that his associate Ted Mascott was released from the St. John's County Jail this afternoon on a $2750 bond, nearly ten times the usual bond for a like offense. Mascott is interviewed about his time in jail along with a Yale Divinity Professor (unnamed); Skip Davidson, Associate Chaplain, University of Massachusetts; Don Clark, Methodist Minister from North Andover, MA; Rev. William England, Associate Chaplain, Boston University; John Mitchner, Yale Divinity School student; and Jerry Dick, Brown University student, all had been jailed since noon Monday (3/30/1964). Mascott discusses conditions in jail, that most demonstrators are fasting, and that overall morale is good. Mascott comments on the cowprod attack of John Mitchner, that he witnessed prior to his arrest, and Mascott discusses how Mitchner later told Mascott he had witnessed a similar attack on a young girl the same day.
Leslie Darren interviews by phone, Cannon James Breeden and Rev. Virgil Wood, about their experiences in St. Augustine. Passing mention is made of the pending Civil Rights Act in Congress.
T.F. Conley recaps comments made by Mary Peabody upon her incarceration. Most comments seem to come from an AP wire report of the day, and include mention of Peabody's son George visiting her in jail.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- News Report
- Social Issues
- Race and Ethnicity
- Mascott, Ted (Series Producer)
- Conley, T.F. (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Dateline St. Augustine; Program 9,” 04/01/1964, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 25, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_5763687B86F8408B8E69DBEF961004E7.
- MLA: “Dateline St. Augustine; Program 9.” 04/01/1964. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 25, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_5763687B86F8408B8E69DBEF961004E7>.
- APA: Dateline St. Augustine; Program 9. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_5763687B86F8408B8E69DBEF961004E7