James Brown At The Boston Garden
James Brown At The Boston Garden PT 1 OF 3, includes James Brown Opening remarks, intro to Tom Atkins and intro to Mayor Kevin White
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- James Brown At The Boston Garden
- Program Description
“April 5, 1968. This is the famous James Brown concert that was broadcast on WGBH in Boston, Massachusetts less than 24 hours after the assignation of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. As violence was breaking out across America, Boston mayor Kevin White was considering canceling all public events, including the James Brown concert. Civil leaders advised White that canceling the concert might trigger a riot. The mayor relented and then persuaded PBS station WGBH to broadcast the event in an effort to keep blacks at home instead of on the street. James Brown soothed the grieving audience by dedicating the show to the memory of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and delivered and electrifying performance. Brown introduced the mayor who urged the audience to keep cool. At one point the fans go wild and rush the stage. The police move in to restore order but Brown assures them that he can handle it. James then pleads with the crowd to return to their seats and says this is not how black people should act. A very powerful and emotional performance! Songs include: “Get It Together,” “There Was A Time,” “I Got A Feeling,” “It’s a Man’s, Man’s, Man’s World,” “Lost Someone,” “Bewildered,” “When a Man Loves a Women,” “That’s Life,” “Kansas City,” “Soul Man,” “I Got The Feeling,” “Try Me,” “Cold Sweat,” “Maybe The Last Time,” “Please Please Please,” “I Can’t Stand It” and many others!” 1968.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Performance for a Live Audience
- Chicago: “James Brown At The Boston Garden,” 04/05/1968, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 26, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_452C7F34BC3D4A54AED91DF15992777D.
- MLA: “James Brown At The Boston Garden.” 04/05/1968. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 26, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_452C7F34BC3D4A54AED91DF15992777D>.
- APA: James Brown At The Boston Garden. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_452C7F34BC3D4A54AED91DF15992777D