March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Part 2 of 17
Part of March on Washington.
The Educational Radio Network / ERN's coverage of the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom Second of fifteen hours of broadcast: 10 A.M. - 11 AM. Interviews with participants, music from the stage, Peter, Paul & Mary, and Odetta. Segment also includes an update from police headquarters and clergy from Acton, MA.
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
- March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom
Part 2 of 17
- Series Description
Educational Radio Network coverage of the 8/28/1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom.
The 1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom featured an estimated 250,000 peaceful demonstrators walking from the Washington Monument to the Lincoln Memorial to hear a political call to arms for economic equality and civil rights for African Americans. Credited with being the final impetus to the passing of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, the event famously ended with Martin Luther King Jr.’s historic “I Have a Dream” speech. Series release date: 8/28/1963
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- African Americans--Politics and government--20th century
- Civil rights
- Civil rights movements--United States--History--20th century
- United States--Politics and government--1961-1963
- Randolph, A. Philip (Asa Philip), 1889-1979
- Demonstrations--United States--History
- March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom, Washington, D.C., 1963
- Civil rights movement
- Washington (D.C.)
- Event Coverage
- Race and Ethnicity
- Social Issues
- Yarrow, Peter (Musician)
- Stookey, Noel Paul (Musician)
- Holmes, Odetta (Musician)
- Travers, Mary (Musician)
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Part 2 of 17,” 08/28/1963, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed March 28, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_3135488CBB9E467B9F0684BC930E6498.
- MLA: “March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Part 2 of 17.” 08/28/1963. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. March 28, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_3135488CBB9E467B9F0684BC930E6498>.
- APA: March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Part 2 of 17. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_3135488CBB9E467B9F0684BC930E6498