March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Interview with George Geesey
Part of March on Washington.
George Geesey, the primary host of the Educational Radio Networks coverage of the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom, talks about the technical and creative considerations that went into the broadcast. Mr. Geesey was the Lead Engineer of the WAMU studios at American University in 1963. He was interviewed on March 7, 2011 in South Thomaston, Maine.
- March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom
Interview with George Geesey
- Series Description
Educational Radio Network coverage of the 8/28/1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom.
The 1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom featured an estimated 250,000 peaceful demonstrators walking from the Washington Monument to the Lincoln Memorial to hear a political call to arms for economic equality and civil rights for African Americans. Credited with being the final impetus to the passing of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, the event famously ended with Martin Luther King Jr.’s historic “I Have a Dream” speech. Series release date: 8/28/1963
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- American University (Washington, D.C.)
- Civil rights movements--United States--History--20th Century
- March on Washington for jobs and Freedom, Washington, D.C., 1963
- Demonstrations--Law and legislation--United States
- Public Radio--United States--History.
- United States--Politics and government--1961-1963
- WAMU-FM (Radio station : Washington, D.C.)
- Civil rights movments
- Civil rights
- South Thomaston (Me.)
- Event Coverage
- Race and Ethnicity
- Social Issues
- Geesey, George (Interviewee)
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Interview with George Geesey,” 03/07/2011, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 19, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_12A80EE6330349CA924C5472AE09209E.
- MLA: “March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Interview with George Geesey.” 03/07/2011. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 19, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_12A80EE6330349CA924C5472AE09209E>.
- APA: March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Interview with George Geesey. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_12A80EE6330349CA924C5472AE09209E